Wednesday, February 24, 2016

just now 2.24.16




It’s raining.  Again.  I’m not sure if I am glad or not that it isn’t snow.  We’ve had the strangest winter. Our temperatures have continually fluctuated forty degrees in a day.  My daffodils have risen and may perish again this year.  I looked at the forecast this morning and there sat the little rain icon for every hour of the day and night.  We might possibly have a thunderstorm…in February.

Em will be home again today.  She is homeschooling and I worry about her, home alone all day, especially on a dreary day like this.  Though I admit to being slightly jealous.  I must work.  There is no other option when you are the only parent with an income.  I want the Springtime to come soon so she can get outside with some fresh air and sunshine on her skin.  I am so craving open windows and fresh Spring breezes.

Every year at this time I feel like this.  Over winter already.  Especially these strange half-winters.  I laugh as I write this, because I have written this over and over again each February. True it is nice to curl up on the couch with a blanket and a cup of tea and a book or Downton Abbey.  Oh Downton, what will I do without you.  Every year I make plans for projects to do over the winter, but they remain unfinished, some not even started because I just want to burrow through these bleak months.


The animals, they have the proper idea.  Oh how I wish I could snuggle into a downy burrow somewhere until the warmth returns.  Slow my body, my breathing and slumber.  Oh to slumber.  

Perhaps when I go home tonight I will curl up in a blanket with my alone child.  We can talk about how we wish we were forest creatures, living in solitude.  If only we had tails to tuck up under our chins.


1 comment:

karen said...

this is the strangest weather and I get really tired of the gloominess. however, as I type this the sun is shining! how about that :) hope you have a cozy evening.