Friday, January 30, 2015

january five lines




January 2nd

the old year goes out like
the flame of the candle 
lit with discernment
the new year comes in
breaking light over warm covers


January 9th

cat dog book
christmas lights
classical music
a whispered prayer
friday night comfort


January 16th

i feel like
this winter
uncertain
and 
uncommitted.


January 23rd  

my twitter feed
is a tangle of
nuns and haiku writers
imagine for a day
they all met


January 30th

2:00 am
drive for medicine
she says i wouldn't do that
i tell her just wait
until you are a mother


About Five Lines:  I discovered five-line poems on Twitter last year. This year I am determined to post a five-line poem on my Facebook and Twitter pages each Friday so that at the end of the year I will have a nice collection.  Five Line poems are pretty quick to write, but don't think they don't go through editing.   I will often sit and change a few words or split the lines in different ways to better  set the tone or the rhythm of the poem.  Some I am sure will get further edits even after I post them.

2 comments:

karen said...

jan 23 is my favorite, I think :) Love this idea!

Laurie said...

These are so lovely. Thank you for sharing them.